With the over saturation of rappers, hip hop can become crowded.Â However, if you continue as a trend setter and a trail blazer, you could find yourself on an island.Â This is exactlyÂ what G-Side (ST 2 LettazÂ Â and Yung Clova)Â want.
This album is unique.Â It doesn’t sound like any other album out.Â Block Beattaz do a great job production wise with G-Side. Their experimental, yet soulful sound complements G-Side well.Â Both of them have a “cohesive” sound together.Â There are gems on this album that I didn’t review (make sure you check out Cast Away, Atmosphere and Rabbits).
In addition to speaking on the island concept, they have great relationshipÂ tracks and deepÂ social concepts. G-Side speak on their environment, negative influences, the hustle of lifeÂ and the current state of America.Â Don’t worry though-they aren’t going to “occupy wall street, but y’allÂ street”.
For old fans of G-Side, they can see maturity withinÂ both artists.Â Both step up their bars and maturity on theirÂ tracks.Â Let’s “isolate” some tracksÂ from theirÂ new album “Island“, to see why they don’t mind being set apartÂ .
- CINEMATIC:Â “Let the credits roll/If you get it and it’s good, let he critics know.“Â This track literally lives up to its name. The listeners can get a vivid story of the life of G-Side through the lens of their lyrical camera. The production is great. Yung Clova explains how G-sideÂ is going to do what twitter did to MySpace on their competition….make them non-existent.
- NO U IN US:Â “I’m trying to piggy bank a hundred thousand“; “I ain’t braggin, I’m just doing me.“Â Block Beattaz catches you from the beginning with the production. This track best describes the concept behind the “island” theme.Â St speaks on a “consistently resisting fromÂ the usual” mentality. On the flip side, staying their selves even in theyÂ make it big. I love howÂ Â Yung Clova makes his “I”m Sorry” references (for you real G-Side fans).Â Â Yung Clova really steps his bars up on this album.
- 24 EIGHT:Â “Been living on borrowed time, God I need a loan.“; “24 eight, 24 rims, 24 stacks, 24 pills/add another day to the week if you really want to catch them.“Â The clock ticking in the background is pretty creative on the production. ST gives one his best verses on this track.Â His goal is to kill the clock.Â He speaks on fighting against time and all the adversaries (police, other rappers, haters, etc) trying to “take his time” andÂ slow him down from his goals. Yung Clova lets us know he “doesn’t sleep unless he’s on his feet” as he spits his verse on prioritizing all the things within his life. This is one ofÂ Yung Clova’s best verse that I’ve heard.Â This is alsoÂ G-Side’s best concept track that I have heard yet. This is a REPEAT OFFENDER!
- RECOGNIZE (ft. PH):Â “I could get my cheese up, blindfold on a handstand/that’s why i don’t sleep much, because the reaper ride with the Sandman.Â G-Side “recognizes” the people whoÂ are onÂ “the other side of cool”.Â ST introduces us to his “boo” and speaks on how heÂ has undying love to her. However, he can’t stay in the sheets with her, because he has to go do his thing. PH is excellentÂ on the hook. He really balances this track out. With the production and verses sounding hard, he comes in bringing a more melodic and peaceful sound.
- GETTINÂ IT (ft. Stalley & Joi Tiffany):Â “People say the truth is scary/so we hide behind lies like Santa Clause and Tooth Fairies.“Â First off, ST’s verse isn’t the best I”ve ever heard from him, but one of the best hip hop verses I”ve heard this year. This is my favorite track off of this album. Stalley is excellent on this track. It’s cool to seeÂ both G-Side and StalleyÂ collabÂ on this track. Â JoiÂ Tiffany is angelic on this track. She adds a classical feel on this soul gripping beat. This is a REPEAT OFFENDER!
I truly feel they have “outgrown” theÂ comparison of Outkast, because they have their own identity. Maybe, that’s why this album is so important. To show people that they are a Island and everyone else can come and visit.Â Check out the album for yourself below.